Local 78 Apprenticeship
Laborers Recruit Apprentices
The Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee for Asbestos, Lead, and Hazardous Waste Laborers, Local Union #78, will conduct a recruitment from March 1, 2022 through March 15, 2022 for 20 skilled construction craft laborer apprentices, the New York State Department of Labor announced today.
Applications can be obtained from the Local 78 JATC, 11-17 43rd Avenue, Long Island City, NY from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, during the recruitment period, excluding legal holidays. All applications must be picked up in person. This is a limited-application recruitment. Only 200 applications will be distributed, on a first-come, first-serve basis. The recruitment will be offered for 11 business days or until 200 applications have been issued, whichever comes first.
All applications will need to be returned, in person, to Local Union #78 JATC, 11-17 43rd Avenue, Long Island City, NY by no later than 3:00 p.m. on March 25, 2022.
The Committee requires that applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have 8th grade education or higher
- Must be physically able to do the work of a skilled construction craft laborer, which includes:
- Lifting and carrying an aggregated weight of 94 lbs. of material for a distance of 30 feet and restacking it to a height of approximately 54 inches off the ground.
- Using a shovel to load approximately half of a cubic yard of material into a wheelbarrow, wheeling it 30 feet, and depositing it into a container.
- Working at heights of 50 feet or more.
- Working in confined spaces.
- Working in extreme temperatures.
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment at all times upon acceptance into the program.
- Must be able to pass the New York State and New York City Asbestos Handlers test after the offer of employment.
- Must be a resident of the five boroughs of NYC or of Long Island.
- Must provide military transfer card or discharge form DD-214, if applicable.
For further information, applicants should contact Local Union 78 at (212) 227-4803. Additional job search assistance can be obtained at your local New York State Department of Labor Career Center (see: dol.ny.gov/career-centers).
Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet standards established by the Commissioner. Under state law, sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or marital status. Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs. Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.
LIUNA Local 78 represents asbestos, lead and hazardous waste handlers in New York City, Long Island and New Jersey. The Local’s 4,000 members are the hard-working employees for nearly 200 signatory environmental contractors, performing 90% of all asbestos removal in the area.
LIUNA Local 78 was organized in 1996 by the Laborers International Union of North America (LIUNA). On its first day, the Local had 1,500 members. Since then, due to aggressive organizing and an active membership, the Local has grown steadily. Local 78 was granted jurisdiction over asbestos and lead abatement in Long Island in 2002 and throughout the state of New Jersey in 2008.